Sunday, July 8, 2018

The Newest Uber Driver

Being an Uber driver down here was something I considered 9-10 months ago when we decided to move.  Since I enjoy driving, I expected to work at several things, and it was very flexibile, this would be a perfect fit.  However, thinking about it is different than deciding to do it, and it's different than actually doing it.

I finally decided when I saw a scene from the "Rosanne" TV show.  In the show she was an Uber driver and they showed her driving a man who was sitting in the back seat.  He said something like this, "I'm never really sure if I should tip my driver."  Rosanne said something like, "well, I picked you up at your house, so I know where you live.  It's up to you."  It was funnier watching it than reading it, but I said then that I was ready.

I ran into a problem getting approved because they needed to confirm that I was a driver for at least a year and did not have serious violations.  Since I had just moved, nothing in South Carolina counted, only my record in New Jersey mattered.  My New Jersey license had on it the date it was originally issued(or at least a couple years old), but the South Carolina DMV took it from me when I got my South Carolina license.

It took me maybe five weeks to get approved although I had a certified five-year driving abstract from New Jersey.  I had to get an abstract that included my record for my whole life.  However, today was the big day and I was on the road at 7 am on a beautiful Sunday morning.

It did not feel like working.  I spoke with people from New York, New Jersey, Detroit, Texas, Ohio and a few other places.  I picked up people at the airport, the IHOP, their home, and brought them to the airport, to work, to Wal-Mart, and to hotels.  I spoke with a man moving to New Mexico, parents who had brought a child here for a college orientation, two students from Saudi Arabia, and several people who were in town just for a couple days.  I also got a little reading in while I waited at the airport, ate my lunch in the car(which I usually do), and even took a short nap.

And best of all Rosanne, I got a number of tips without threatening anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment