Wednesday, July 4, 2018

The Battle of The Beach

Time ran out on Saturday morning as I pulled up to the beach on a hot day ready to do battle against the sun.  My big advantage was that it was 5 pm and despite the warm temperatures it was a little cooler than a few hours ago.  I was wearing an orange shirt and an orange bathing suit which my son gave me that morning as a hand-me-up.  His girlfriend, Danielle, said I looked like a traffic cone and she was probably pretty accurate. I was only wearing flip-flops, I left my socks at home and my feet were naked and exposed.

I had already soaked myself with very strong lotion to protect myself.  It took me five minutes to rub it in because I looked like a VERY white man who should not be allowed out in public.  Making the trek towards the sand I remembered some of the nightmarish days of my past when I was lugging tons of stuff to the beach while walking on hot coals(or sand).  My hat protected my head, but I could feel the sun burning on me, when will it stop?

When the umbrella was put in the sand I quickly found the shade and sat on the blanket, waiting for us to leave.  It had been five minutes and as of then, the sun was winning.  I did relax a little since there was a breeze, no flies, and a limited amount of people.  I left my book in the car, but I didn't want to trek back there to get it, because of the sun, but after an hour or so I made the journey back. I I found some shade on the walk and stood for a couple minutes-to rest.

I did make my way into the water with my shirt and hat still on.  There were no rocks in the water and it wasn't cold either, but still the sun burned.  Back to the blanket I went where I found that the shade was moving quickly and the water was getting closer to the blanket. Fortunately, it was time to go-two and a half hours later, my first trip to the beach in years.  I escaped without any sunburn, so I win!

The plan for July 4th is to spend SIX OR SEVEN hours at the beach.  The forecast the night before unfortunately, was for rain all morning.  I woke up today to beautiful, sunny skies.  And so the battle continues-what am I going to do for SIX hours on the beach?

No comments:

Post a Comment