Monday, January 30, 2023

They Want My Car Back???

 As you know the past few years it's been difficult buying a new car.  I waited almost 11 months for my orange Ford Transit and one day it just showed up-Ford had no idea it was coming.  At the same time, the market for used cars has been off the charts, partly due to the fact that people can't buy new cars. Dealerships have always been calling and contacting owners to buy back their car and I've had calls over the years looking for a car I no longer had.

I never expected that my dealership would contact me nine months after I received my car, but they did the other day.  This is the way the online salesperson e-mailed me:

"We are looking to expand our pre-owned inventory. We're having a hard time buying Transit Connect's at the auction and we're paying top dollar for them. Since you recently had your Transit Connect in our service department, it looks like it would be a great fit for us! 

If you're interested in letting us make you an offer on it, please call me or just reply to this email."

I had to have some fun with this, so my immediate reply was this:

"There is probably no one on the planet who enjoys a Transit as much as I do.  As an Uber driver I am constantly showing off the car and people really like it, as they did my last one. (I've given 10,000 rides in the two Transits in the past 4 1/2 years." I waited 11 months to get it last March and you would have to offer me at least $10,000 more than I paid ($31,000) and probably free chicken for life at a chicken place.  

Good luck in your search.  If you even need a referral or someone who wants to talk to an owner, feel free to contact me."

After I told my wife what I did, I got a little nervous. What if they accepted that offer? What would I do about a car? Then I started thinking about eating unlimited chicken every week. I haven't heard from him. You would think someone with a sense of humor would have taken sixty seconds to reply to a happy customer? Maybe he's negotiating with a chicken place?











No comments:

Post a Comment