Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Harry's World



May 2

I’ve told you about Harry who works with me.  He’s a retired, part-time worker with two long careers as a fireman and mail carrier and he’s from Philly.  Here are some of his latest cracks:

One morning I told him he hadn’t made me laugh today and he said, “I’m not going to, I’m saving it for my TV show.”  Of course, that made me laugh and I came up with the title of his TV show, “Harry’s World.”

Harry said one morning about our boss, “He hasn’t done anything stupid until you got here.”(me)  “Get the hell out of here.”

“You need to know where these keys go in the office, so you’ll know where to put them when you’re in charge.”  I told him he makes it sound like I’m going to be President of the company in a year.

When I said to him, “how slow do you think I am?”, he replied, “you’re not slow, you’re deliberate.”  I did come down here to slow down and already I’m being called “deliberate”, not bad.

Last Friday he had been out late and obviously celebrating a little too much so he was very talkative that morning.  He said to me, “You’re doing a great job today Jeff, you’re an important cog in our operation.”  Of course, he doesn’t remember complimenting me, but he did.

Harry likes nicknames too.  I can’t remember all the different names he’s called me, but I think “Blog Boy” is my favorite.  He knows I write a blog and wrote one about him.  He also calls Barry, the new African American driver, Barry Goldwater.  That’s pretty funny as long as he doesn’t post it on Facebook.

When I needed some help moving furniture out of my pod he sent his two sons over.  I asked him what their names were and he said he said of his three sons, “I call them A, B, and C.”

A couple weeks ago I was returning to the warehouse and saw Harry coming out from behind the dumpster and he was doing something with his pants.  I wasn’t sure exactly what was going on, but the look on his face was priceless.  He was very embarrassed.  I think that would be the perfect scene for the opening of “Harry’s World.”  If you could have seen his face….    I also used to walk behind the dumpster to get to the front door, but I don’t do that anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment