Friday, May 20, 2022

My First Uber Ride

 This probably doesn't have anything to do with me "Becoming a Southerner," but my 500th blog is about something that has been very important in my life the last four years.  After giving 8,000 Uber & Lyft rides, it finally happened-I became a rider and I had been looking forward to it.  I never would have guessed it would happen at the Las Vegas Airport.

After getting my suitcase I went to the rideshare area to get my ride.  I was shocked to find in the garage part of the building was about 60-75 riders also waiting for a ride.  I wasn't sure if this was the right pick-up spot, so I had to ask another rider about it. 

My driver showed up in five minutes and he was very nice and opened the trunk for me.  I told him I was an Uber driver from South Carolina and I gave him a tip before the ride. I thanked him for the ride and he appreciated it. I've only been tipped twice before the ride, so it is very unusual for it to happen.

He used to drive a truck across the country and now is driving Uber for 3-4 hours about 5 days a week. He said, "It keeps me away from the couch and TV." He's given 10,000 rides in three years, the rides in Vegas are typically shorter. He told me that he purposely drives under the speed limit, "since people come here for a good time and I want to make sure they can do it."

He was going to be 65 the next day.  I wished him happy birthday and tipped him again at the end of the ride and thanked him again.  He was a little confused by the second tip. He did a great job and although it was a short ride, it was a very good one for my first ever Uber ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment