Tuesday, May 31, 2022

When Being Negative Is A Very Positive Thing

A few days ago, I returned from a quick trip to New Jersey and I brought home with me a bad cough.  I very rarely get sick, but when you're sick these days you have to consider COVID a possibility.  I've had three shots and I've been pretty careful the past two years and to the best of my knowledge, I have not had COVID. It felt like a cold: a stuffy nose, watery eyes and a headache off and on or on and off.

Two home COVID tests said negative and I went for one in a clinic which was also negative. For someone who prides himself on being positive as frequently as possible, I was very aware that I wanted to be negative and the positive news is-I was negative.  I have plenty of meds and I am beginning to feel better.

However, turning a negative into a positive, or a lemon into lemonade, this does give me the opportunity to write something more about being positive.  A couple weeks ago, my sister sent me a sermon that I absolutely loved. Rabbi Aaron Schonbrun, in New Jersey, did a sermon about the dangers of complaining, or the Jewish word, kvetching. He said, "when we always find something "wrong" about an individual, or a situation, we fail to train ourselves to appreciate the positive and perhaps even the blessing, in that same situation.  All of this is harmful to our soul, to our relationships, and to our society."

He challenged people to find more positive in their life and to focus on the "half full" part of the glass. Let's face it, these days are very challenging times, from the war in Ukraine, to inflation, higher gas prices, and the attack on a school in Texas killing many small children.  I have always believed that there are good things in every bad situation.  Years ago, I heard the explanation that a half filled glass of water is NOT half full of water.  Rather, it is 100% full, half with water and half with air.  

It's not always easy to find the good in evil or the best in a bad situation, but it can be done.  Fortunately, I've read a lot of very positive books in my life which has definitely helped me.  I've seen how a positive attitude has made a difference in my life and every day I think, what is good about that? I think the rabbi would have liked this blog almost as much as I liked his sermon.

The sign in my car for all my riders to see says, "If you can't find the sunshine, be the sunshine."








No comments:

Post a Comment