Sunday, January 28, 2018

How Friendly Are Southerners?

One of the things I've always heard about southerners is that they are very friendly and after one month living here I have to agree with that.  They do love to talk and are very helpful, but two incidents this week really surprised me.

Monika and I were walking towards the beach when a car with passengers came towards us and the driver waved hello.  He didn't know us and we were on the sidewalk, so it was very unusual to say the least.  It's one thing to be walking by someone and say hello, but driving by with the window closed and the driver was on the other side from where we were?

However, the incident today, was even odder.  About 8 am this morning I was walking out of a supermarket parking lot and it started to drizzle.  The one bag I was carrying was small and everything was in the bag.  I had a hood on and was not distressed, soaken wet, or in a hurry either.
A car was pulling into the lot and it suddenly stopped. The window came down and the guy who was about my age said, "hey buddy, need a lift?" I said, "No thanks, I'm good,"  and he replied, "It's a nice rain day, isn't it?" I agreed and he pulled away.

I consider myself pretty friendly, but would I ever stop and offer someone a ride under those circumstances when I was going into the lot and they were coming out? No way-I think it's going to take awhile for me to become a southerner.

No comments:

Post a Comment