Saturday, January 13, 2018

Protecting Myself From The Sun In January

The other day it was almost 70 and the sun was strong and I was wearing shorts to take a walk on the beach.  Having fair skin I had to put lotion on(#50 for babies) to make sure I did not burn.  It was odd to do this in January, but it did work and that's all that matters.

I've always said that I've spent some of the worst days of my life on the beach.  Sitting in the hot sun, trying to stay under the umbrella or sitting under the boardwalk reading, waving away the flies when I was trying to eat, walking uncomfortably in hot sand and on little rocks.  The beach can bring back all those wonderful memories for me.  And let's not forget the sunburn and trying to take a hot shower or should it be a cold shower(?) to get rid of the sting. I remember dating Monika and she got so burned she was in bed for three days.  The beach really is a "magical" place!

One of the funniest beach stories happened 15-20 years ago.  My "love" of the beach was the reason my wife and kids would take me to the beach on my birthday each year.  When you have three kids the beach becomes more like a mini vacation and driving down the Jersey Shore can turn into a two hour trip.  Everyone fell asleep and I was driving in traffic listening to Disney songs on a cassette and heard the song, "Beauty and the Beast."  I quickly started "writing" my version of "The Beauty of the Beach" and when they woke up I sang the song to them.

"Packing up the car, gonna go real far.  Nothing seems to fit, isn't it the pits, it's the Beauty of the Beach"

But it's now 2018 and change is definitely in the air. We are about to buy a house in Myrtle Beach.  And in January, I was walking on the beach for two hours, watching the waves come in, picking up sea shells and thinking I should re-write one of my old songs.  Maybe this really is "The Beauty of the Beach."

No comments:

Post a Comment