Monday, January 1, 2018

Getting Adjusted....Slowly

When you live in the same place for 19 years you know where everything is, how everything works and you can walk around in the dark without bumping into everything. When you stay in a hotel everything is off.  The front door makes a lot of noise so you can't sneak out quietly when everyone's sleeping. Where are my socks, shoes, and that room key? I was on my knees in the dark blindly running my hand across the dresser looking for the key. Monika, my wife, woke up from a dead sleep, walked over and put her hand on the dresser and gave me the room key.  How does she always know where things are?

Getting adjusted to our rented condo has been a challenge for me.  There's a different remote control for the TV.(our family name for it is "clicker")  I barely know how to use the one at home and then I realized that on this one the volume goes lower on the left side and higher on the right side.  I struggled with this many times until my daughter told me I was holding the remote upside down.

I had the same kind of problem with the sink in the bathroom.  I turned on the left faucet and I got no hot water, so I thought maybe down south the hot water goes right to left.(like reading Hebrew)  But the left side had only cold war too.  My wife's sink had hot water on the left, so I guess it takes awhile to warm up.

An old boss called me a "technically deficient superstar" and he was right.  I do have problems with some of the simplest things, but fortunately Monika is really good at a lot of things.  So while you're comfortable in your room or apartment or house today, I'm still trying to figure out how the lights work.


1 comment:

  1. That last line was golden. I'll think of you every time I go to turn the lights on! Poor dad.

    ReplyDelete